Tuesday, March 29, 2011

More on milk thistle...

A while back I posted an article on brewing milk thistle tea. I'd mentioned that it came in tea bags. Some time later, in my I'm going to learn as much as I can about food and nutrition and feel great in life quest, I found out that many tea bags have aluminum in them. Great! This is not the good stuff that we should be putting into our God given vessels. Hello, food industry - aluminum? Well, better than that - I found it - the milk thistle that is - in bulk at Vitamin Cottage's Natural Grocers. Man, I love that store! Anyway... You can purchase whole seeds and brew the tea yourself at home. Use about 1 tsp of seeds per cup of water. Bring to a boil and let it do it's thing for 20 minutes or so. Strain out the seeds. Sweeten the tea w/ Agave Nectar or Honey and ouila! You have for yourself homemade, good for you, milk thistle tea.

What's the big deal on milk thistle? It is a liver cleanser and detoxifier. When our livers are clean our bodies function better and we have more energy. We all want more energy right?

Here's a hint: Mix equal parts of milk thistle tea and green tea for a knock out, free radical fighting drink. Sweeten it up a bit and serve to the family with dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment