Saturday, June 11, 2011

Homemade Organic Spaghetti Sauce

I am having some gal pals over this evening and I told them that I'd make us mean pot of spaghetti. I've made so many friends this dinner and never got any complaints.

I can't tell you how many times I picked up jars of Ragu to doctor up at home for a "homemade" spaghetti dinner. Nope - not any more. Some time ago this nice guy I know (who happens to be my husband now...) taught me how to make true homemade sauce. It's so delicious and so easy. I'll tell you how we make ours and you can tweek to your liking.

You'll need:

1 85/15 Frozen turkey log by Tyson or Jennie-O
1/2 medium yellow onion
1 small green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
3 cans Muir Glen organic tomato sauce
2 cans Muir Glen organic tomato paste
1 can Muir Glen organic diced tomatoes
oregano - tons
basil - tons
salt and pepper to taste

Begin by browning the meat. Add the onion (finely chopped) and the bell pepper (diced). As it's cooking, cover it with some salt, pepper, oregano & basil. In my opinion, you can't have too much Italian seasoning.

In a large pot, dump your cans of sauce, paste and tomatoes. Cover the top of the sauce with a layer of each oregano and basil. Don't skimp - blanket the sauce! Add the browned meat mixture and stir. Using a garlic press, add two cloves of fresh garlic to your pot. Stir. Let it bubble and cook on low. The longer, the better.

Ouila! How easy is that? I'll bet you'll never buy another jar or can of pre-made sauce again. And good for you. They are chock full of added ingredients that our bodies don't need anyway.

This recipe feeds my family of six with some left over.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment